Thursday, August 21, 2014

The top of the food chain

   So I saw something rather neat as I was coming up my driveway last night.  I thought I saw a hawk in my yard but I couldn't tell for sure because of the distance.  So after I parked my car in the garage I got out and started walking toward the bird.  It hadn't moved yet at this point.  Then suddenly it took flight, and it had a snake in it's claws.  It was just kinda cool to see that.  It's not something you see often, even in the country.  But after what I saw I have learned two things, one: There are always more snakes in my yard than I care to admit and I've seen more this year than last year, and two: I'm going to have to have an enclosed chicken yard so the hawk doesn't take off with a chicken or duck.

   When we moved in we got two long hoses so that we could water the garden, so we got one of those square hose containers, I don't know exactly what it's called but you get the point.  Then these flowers popped up behind the container.  This year I noticed them in two other places in my yard and I have no idea how they got there.  But also, I have NO idea what kind of flowers they are.  Any ideas?

  

   They were playing "chicken" with the 4-wheelers, the smaller one is little mans that he got for Christmas.  The bigger ones battery is dead.  When we had the house fire the 4-wheeler was outside in the shed, but the charger was in the house and we have had a really hard time finding a new charger.  Well now the battery charger that they rigged up does not work either or the battery is shot so now I need to find a new battery for it and charger.  It may be easier than just looking for a charger.




  Corn on the cob from the garden!  I must admit I love having a garden and there is no better feeling in the world that knowing exactly where your food come from and the pride you get as well.  My cucumbers are starting to slow down a little bit, but they are also now getting thicker instead of longer, so now sure how good of pickles they are going to make but since I have like thirty jars in my basement, I think we will be set for awhile.



   This is a picture of my kids artwork after it has dried, (the water and the chalk.)



   One cool part about their creativeness.  Tiny chalk footprints.



   Shared on the Homestead Barn Hop

2 comments:

  1. In our area those flowers are called Naked Ladies, because of the bare stems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting name, makes sense though. What area are you from? I'm in south central Pennsylvania.

      Delete