Monday, January 19, 2015

How to clean oven fan filters.

  So over the weekend, blame it on the nesting, lol, I cleaned my oven fan filters or whatever you want to call them.  As usual I happened to see how to do this on the internet.  But the process was very easy and all I needed was a pair of tongs and a little bit of baking soda, which I always usually have on hand.

   So this is what my vents looked like when I took them out of the fans.  Mine were on the underside of the microwave, which I don't like having above my stove, but don't really have any other option for that.  We have lived in this house for almost three years and have never cleaned these.  As you can see one side of the stove gets used more than the other, anyone else do that?


   So first things first, get a pot, from what I've seen it needs to be a stainless steel pot, not something that has a non-stick coating on it.  My filters were a little to big for my pot so I did have to flip them over to get the whole filter clean.  Back to the water.  Once it's boiling pour in some baking soda (I do not have an exact measurement for this), but be very careful.  Your water is supposed to fizz up but mine didn't fizz up too much until I put the filter in so beware, I don't want your pots fizzing over.


   This is what my pot looks like when I put the filter in the water.  See all the grease on the right side of the picture, yuck.


   After I took the filters out of the pot I did rinse them off in the sink.  Make sure you use tongs to retrieve the filters since they will be hot!  The filter that is on the right took awhile to get as clean as it is, but I may have to clean that one up again using a little more elbow grease to get it completely clean.  But for now it is a lot better than what it had been, so I'm ok with that.  The filter on the right was not as dirty and only took about a minute on each side to get it clean.



   You can use the same water to clean both filters, you just may need to add a little more baking soda to the water.  This is what my pot looked liked after I was finished cleaning the filters.  Don't worry, it looks a lot worse than it is and was very easy to clean up.  The site I got my directions from suggested dumping your water outside somewhere because your water does get pretty greasy and she didn't want that on her pipes.  So that is up to your own discretion.



   And to round out a post about cleaning greasy, grimy filters, a picture of little Sebastian.  I caught him snuggling up on big brothers bed hanging out with all the soft toys. 







No comments:

Post a Comment