Friday, June 27, 2014

Gardening with little ones

Gardening with little ones is always interesting.  I have had a small garden before that did ok, but that was also with only one or two little ones around.  I could usually get away with tending the garden while they napped.  Two years ago we moved into the house we are currently in and I had dreams of a vegetable garden, (there was already a place on the property that had been used as a garden, but looked like it hadn't been used in years when we moved in.)  That first year my garden got overrun with weeds.  With a three year old, two year old, and an eight month old baby, I did not get much time in the garden.  Fast forward a year and my husband and I agreed on having a container garden.  I planted potatoes, pole beans, cucumbers, one tomato plant, and some lettuce.  It did rather well until we went on vacation for a week and it didn't rain or get watered, ugh.  I tried salvaging it, but it was too far gone.  This year, upon my request my husband tilled the garden, (and made it three times bigger, a surprise I was not prepared for) for Mother's Day.  I was determined to not let those weeds get out of control again.  Bonus: this year I have two helpers, my five (almost six) year old, and my four and a half year old.  Only one problem though, that still leaves me with a two and a half year old, who has recently decided he doesn't need naps anymore.  Good thing for those four extra hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment